Company: City of San Marcos, TX
Location: San Marcos
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Salary: $20.15 - $24.90 Hourly
Location : San Marcos, TX
Job Type: Full-time Non-Exempt
Job Number: 1008-111623
Opening Date: 11/16/2023
Closing Date: 12/15/2023 11:59 PM Central
FLSA: Non-exempt position, eligible for overtime compensation.
Performs a variety of specialized accounting functions relative to
area of assignment including accounts payable and general
accounting; posts routine journal entries; generates and/or
prepares financial reports related to area of assignment; conducts
administrative duties in support of departmental operations; and
performs other related duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING
- Performs a variety of accounts payable duties:
- Maintains incoming payment requests, invoices, and other
electronic correspondence including responding to vendor payment
status, distributing vendor invoices into the appropriate
department accounts payable folder.
- Receives and enters invoice data into the City financial
software in preparation for weekly accounts payable runs; generates
disbursements that include ACH, check, wire, and procurement card
- Conducts research regarding City payables and provides
instruction to departments for timely disbursements. Works with
Purchasing to assist departments on identifying discrepancies with
Purchase Orders and/or Contracts.
- Assists departments with proper submission and/or receiving of
invoices. Follows up with departments regarding invoice
- Requests additional information and/or documentation to
complete vendor payment processing.
- Issues disbursements to suppliers, vendors, City employees,
City Council members, and/or other business/organization providing
- Verifies paid or outstanding status on issued
- Prepares journal entries to properly allocate invoices to the
appropriate general ledger accounts.
- Contact vendors to acquire vendor W-9s and forward the City's
W9 form upon request.
- Assists accountant to issue 1099's 2. Processes procurement
- Assists as needed in verifying account charges for accuracy;
identifies and resolves account discrepancies for proper
- Processes disbursement to procurement card provider; prepares
related reports in reconciling the procurement card statements
- Assist accountant in providing procurement card transaction
information to end user departments 3. Performs a variety of
general accounting duties:
- Performs online bank inquiries related to area of
- Prepares miscellaneous journal entries; reconciles related
general ledger accounts. Compiles statistical and/or financial data
related to area of assignment
- Assists with month/year-end closing and/or annual audit
processes. 4. Miscellaneous:
- Performs data entry; creates, updates, and maintains accounting
records and files for area of assignment.
- Provides support to accountants as needed.
- Assists with open records requests as it pertains to area of
- Coordinates and conducts special projects as required.
- Assists as needed with the reception area and provides general
administrative support. Performs other routine and/or specialized
duties related to area of assignment. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
(Salary is dependent upon qualifications)
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Two (2) years accounts payable or closely related experience is
- Depending on area of assignment, a valid Texas Driver's License
with an acceptable driving record may be required. PREFERRED
- Working knowledge/experience with Tyler-Munis financials or
similar enterprise software system. CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL
- Must be able to read and comprehend departmental policies,
procedure manuals, and
- accounting documentation relative to area of assignment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required;
must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City
departments and personnel, outside agencies, vendors, customers,
and local businesses.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical requirements include lifting of to 45 pounds rarely.
Subject to sitting and vision constantly; handling, fine dexterity,
hearing and talking frequently; standing, walking, lifting,
carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching, climbing, balancing and foot
controls occasionally; bending and twisting rarely.
Working conditions involve occasional exposure to infectious
diseases when interacting with the public.
8 a.m. - 5 p.m., M-F
The City of San Marcos offers its employees a broad range of
benefits to enhance their personal and occupational lives. We are
committed to a total rewards strategy that provides employees with
competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and an
environment that supports a healthy work/life balance.
Medical, Dental & Vision Coverage
- United Healthcare
- Choice Plus PPO Plan
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Wellness Initiatives
- Virtual Doctor Visits 24/7
- Dental Plan
- Davis Vision Insurance
- Base Vision Plan
- Premium Vision Plan
- Laser Vision Correction discounts Retirement
- Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS)
- Mission Square Retirement Corporation - optional 457-deferred
compensation plan & Roth IRA ADDITIONAL BENEFITS
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- City paid Life and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick Leave
- Longevity Pay
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Activity Center Membership
- Direct Deposit
The City of San Marcos strives to provide employees with an
opportunity for a flexible and positive work/life balance.
Employees in eligible positions are offered remote telework options
of up to two days per week or 40% of an employee's scheduled work
hours. Remote telework eligibility will be determined by department
directors to ensure the City provides quality services.
Do you have a High School Diploma or equivalent?
Do you have a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable
Do you possess two (2) years of accounts payable or closely related
Keywords: City of San Marcos, TX, San Marcos , Accounting Technician, Accounting, Auditing , San Marcos, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!